Best Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed Error.
Discord, a popular game communication tool, is regularly updated with new features and bug fixes. You don’t need to try the Discord Canary alpha to get some of these as the Discord client itself will update automatically to bring you the latest stable features and fixes.
However, if the Discord update fails for some reason, you will be missing out on these new features and fixes. You can also get stuck in a Discord update failure loop where Discord simply can’t update and won’t let you use the client until it’s fixed. Here’s what you need to do to help you fix these issues with updating Discord.
Check Discord Service Status
Discord’s update failure loop isn’t necessarily caused by an issue on your PC or Mac. If the Discord servers are running into issues, any possible update may fail. To check if this is the case, you can check the status of the Discord service on the Discord website.
Discord maintains a dedicated status website where Discord users can check the current status of the platform. It reports everything from the Discord API to local server issues, allowing you to pinpoint if the update issues are local to your PC or Discord itself is to blame.
On the Discord status website (discordstatus.com), you will see 90 days history for each item of the Discord service, where each segment represents one day. In particular, if the API section shows recent operational issues (for example, if the current segment is red or orange), you may have to wait before trying to update the client again.
You can usually hover your mouse over a segment to see more information about the causes of the crashes. However, common services will also appear at the top of the page. If Discord is down, there isn’t much you can do – just wait and try again later when the service is up and running again.
Run Discord as an Administrator
If you are using Discord on Windows, you may need to run the desktop Discord client as administrator if the client itself is not updating. You will need to do this if you are using Discord on a local or guest account that does not have the necessary permissions to install or modify software.
- Before starting, make sure Discord is not currently running, either visible or in the background. You can check this using the Task Manager (right click on Start> Task Manager) by searching for the Discord (or discord.exe) process. If so, right-click the process and select End Task.
- To run Discord as an administrator, open the Start menu and find the Discord entry in the Discord Inc. folder. Right-click the application and select Advanced> Run as administrator.
Check Your Internet Connection (and Disable VPNs or Proxies)
While Discord itself is supposed to work over a VPN or proxy connection, this is not guaranteed. Certain VPN services block certain services, while Discord may block certain ranges of VPN IP addresses that it believes could be destructive. Shared VPN services can be blocked unintentionally interfering with updates.
If you are not using a VPN or proxy connection, do not rule out an issue with your internet connection directly that prevents Discord from downloading the necessary update files. For example, an intermittent internet connection or a DNS shutdown can stop Discord itself from working.
Check it out for yourself by going to the Discord site and making sure you can use Discord’s services through the web interface. If Discord is running through a website, the problem is most likely not related to your connection.
Clear Discord’s Cache Files
The Discord client saves certain files to hidden folders on your PC or Mac for later use. These cache files are essential for Discord to function properly, but if corrupted at any time, they can prevent critical services (such as Discord updates) from working properly.
To fix this problem, you can delete these cache files by deleting the Discord AppData folder (on Windows) or the Discord Application Support folder (on Mac). Before trying these steps, you need to make sure Discord is not currently running, either visible or in the background.
How to clear Discord cache on Windows
- First, open File Explorer and select the navigation bar at the top of the menu. Type% appdata% Discord in the navigation bar, then press the Enter key to switch folders.
- In the Discord folder, search the list to find the Cache, GPUCache, and Code Cache folders. Select folders using the Ctrl key, then right-click the folders and choose Delete to place them in the trash.
- On the desktop, right-click the Trash and select Empty Trash from the context menu to empty it. This will delete the Discord cache files from your PC.
- Open the Discord client again and allow all important files to be regenerated. At this point, you may need to sign in again.
How to clear Discord cache files on Mac
- To clear the Discord cache on a Mac, open the Finder app and choose Go> Go To Folder.
- In the Finder menu field, enter ~ / Library / Application Support / discord and choose Go.
- Select the Cache, GPUCache, and Code Cache folders from the Finder menu (press and hold the Command key to do this). Once selected, right-click the files, then select Move to Trash (Move to Trash in Some Localizations).
- After uninstalling, right-click the Trash folder in the Dock, then select Empty Trash (or Empty Trash) to delete them.
- Reopen the Discord client for the files you want to regenerate, then log back in with your Discord user credentials (if necessary).
Rename the Discord Update Executable File
As the name suggests, the Discord update executable (update.exe) is solely responsible for updating the Discord client on Windows PC. If you are stuck in Discord update failure loop and want a quick workaround, you can rename this file so Discord updates won’t work.
However, this is not recommended as a long term solution. Without updates, your Discord client won’t have the latest features and bug fixes. Over time, your service may deteriorate and the client itself may stop working altogether as older versions are blocked for use.
- To rename the update.exe file, open Explorer and select the navigation bar at the top of the window. Type C: Users username AppData Local Discord (replacing the username with your own Windows user folder) and press Enter on your keyboard.
- In the Discord folder, right-click the Update.exe file and select Rename. Rename the file to something else (for example, Update-Old.exe) and press Enter to confirm.
Remove and Reinstall Discord
Discord’s update failure cycle can by definition continue indefinitely without addressing the root cause. If the above steps did not help you fix the problem with your Discord client on Windows or Mac, then you will have to uninstall and reinstall the client instead.
Reinstalling Discord will give you the latest stable release files, although you can also download the beta and Canary version instead. This may fix the problem itself, or you may need to repeat these steps regularly to make sure you have the most recent client files installed.
How to uninstall and reinstall Discord on Windows
- To reinstall Discord on Windows, right-click the Start menu and select Settings.
- From the Settings menu, select Applications> Applications & Features. Find and select the Discord option from the list, then select Uninstall> Uninstall.
Follow any additional instructions on the screen. Once uninstalled, download the latest Discord installation files, then run the installer to complete the process.
How to uninstall and reinstall Discord on Mac
- To uninstall the Discord client on Mac, open the Finder app and select Applications, then right-click the Discord entry and select Move to Trash (or Move to Trash).
- You will then need to empty the Trash folder by right-clicking the Trash can icon in the Dock and selecting Empty Trash or Empty Trash.
Once uninstalled, download the latest Discord installer for Mac and run the file, then follow any additional onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Next Steps on Discord
Discord is a great platform for finding friends and playing games, especially if you plan on using the in-game Discord overlay. You can also add color to your Discord posts to spice up your chat, or if you want to build your community, you can create a Discord server for your friends and family.
Best Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed Error
how to fix update failed discord mac
discord update failed retrying in 10 seconds
discord update failed loop 2021
can’t install discord update failed
discord update failed windows 7
discord failed to update your settings
Best Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed Error
discord update loop