How To Change Your Snapchat Username.
Stuck on Snapchat with a username you know you don’t like anymore? If you’ve tried to go into settings to change it, you may not have been able to find a way to do it. This is because, unfortunately, this is not possible.
Snapchat has stated that it does not allow username changes for security reasons, so it is not possible to do so from your account. However, there are a few workarounds to help you avoid getting hung up on a name you don’t like.
Change display name
The easiest way to hide your username is to create a display name. This is what your friends will see in chats, stories and wherever your name appears. While people can still see your username if they click on your profile, it will at least help obscure it with what you like best.
To do this, tap the Bitmoji icon in the upper left corner to access your profile. Then click on the settings icon in the upper right corner, which looks like a small gear.
In the settings, you will see the Name parameter. Click on that and you will be taken to a page where you can change your first and last name.
You do not need to enter your real name or surname, and you do not need to enter both. You can actually make this name whatever you want. You can even just add emoji if you’re comfortable with it.
After you enter the name you like, click the “Save” button at the bottom of the screen. Your display name will be changed everywhere. The nice thing about this option is that you can go back and change it whenever you want, as many times as you want.
Create a new account
Now, if you really, really hate your username, the only way you can choose is to create a completely new profile. It wouldn’t be too bad if Snapchat allowed you to transfer data from your old account, but again, for security reasons, this isn’t the case.
However, you can easily create a new account and still find friends from your old account if you need a new username. Just make sure you haven’t deleted the old account until you’ve finished creating the new one. Here are the steps to get it right:
- Sign out of your original Snapchat account by going to your profile, then Settings> Sign Out. Save your login information if you want to return easily.
- On the Snapchat homepage, click Sign Up in the bottom left corner. A screen will appear where you enter your first and last name. This is what your display name will look like, as described above. Click Sign Up and Accept to accept the Snapchat Terms of Service and continue creating your account.
- Enter your birthday, after which you can enter your username. Make sure you like it!
- Then you can create a password and enter your phone number or email address to verify your account.
Now that your account has been created, you will want to re-add your friends. There are several ways to do this. Once you’ve created your account, Snapchat will allow you to add the friends you have in your phone contacts if you allow the app to access them.
There will also be a quick add option below where you can find friends from your old account that you can add again. After adding the friends you can find here, continue to create Bitmoji for your account.
Once you’re signed in to your new Snapchat account, you can go to your profile and scroll down to the Friends section. Click “Add Friends” to manually add anyone not shown in your contacts or quick add. This is where your old account can come in handy to check your friends’ usernames.
Delete your old Snapchat
Now that you’ve created a new Snapchat and a new username, you have several ways to proceed. You can either delete your old account or keep multiple accounts in the login app at any time.
Keep in mind that by deleting the old account, you will not be able to access the snapshots or chat logs stored there. So, you want to save all the memories you have in your old account to your phone. You can do this by swiping up the camera and then clicking the checkmark icon in the top right corner to select multiple shots. Then click Export to save them to your camera roll.
Once you have all the snapshots you want to keep and all your friends have been added, you can delete your account if you want by following these steps:
- Connect to the account portal Snapchat. Enter the username and password for the account you want to delete. You may also need to enter a verification code by phone or email.
- After clicking Continue, your account will be deactivated for 30 days. During this time, your friends will not be able to contact you through this account.
- After 30 days, if you do not sign in again, it will be permanently deleted. All data such as photos or videos will be deleted.
If you don’t want to log into your account, but still want it to be available, you can always log out and save your login details. Then, when you log out of the new account, you can still log into your old one if you want.