How To Setup a Printer on iPhone or iPad.Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Apple AirPrint makes printing on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch easier than you think. You need to spend a little time setting up your printer before you can start using it with your iOS or iPadOS device.
But what if you have a printer that doesn’t support AirPrint? Do not worry. You can still rely on your printer manufacturer’s support application to send print jobs wirelessly. Alternatively, if you are only using a wired printer, you can opt for a third-party AirPrint activator to help you.
Use AirPrint to Print on iPhone and iPad
AirPrint is Apple’s wireless protocol that allows iPhone and iPad to communicate wirelessly with printers. It does not require drivers or auxiliary software. The only thing you need to do is make sure the printer and your iOS device are connected to the same Wi-Fi router. If so, you can print right away!
If you are using a new wireless printer, it is most likely AirPrint compatible. Here is a complete list of compatible AirPlay printer models. If your printer is not there, skip to the next section.
1. Start by connecting the printer to the same wireless router as your iPhone or iPad. You should check your printer’s user manual or online documentation for specific instructions. For example, if you are using an HP touchscreen printer, open the network or wireless settings menu and use the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect to the network.
2. Open (or select) the image, document, or webpage you want to print and tap the Share icon. It is shaped like an arrow extending from the top of the box and is found in most applications (such as Files, Photos, and Safari) on the iPhone and iPad. Then tap the Print option on the shared sheet.
3. Tap the Select Printer option at the top of the screen. If your printer supports AirPlay (and you’re connected to the same wireless network as your iPhone or iPad), it will appear in the list. Click to select it.
Learn what you can do to troubleshoot an AirPrint printer not showing on your iPhone or iPad.
4. Make any necessary changes to the print job, such as number of copies, media quality, paper size, and so on. Then click Print in the right corner of the screen. Your AirPrint printer will start printing immediately.
Note. Learn how to troubleshoot an AirPrint printer not showing on your iPhone or iPad.
5. You can queue print jobs. If you’d like to view them, open the app switcher on your Apple mobile device (swipe up from the bottom of the screen, or double-tap the Home button) and select Print Center. You can then click on the print job and select Cancel Print if you want to cancel it.
Use Printer Support Software to Print on iPhone and iPad
If your wireless printer does not support AirPrint, you need to install any available assistive software from the App Store. For example, printing applications such as Canon PRINT Inkjet / SELPHY, Epson iPrint, and HP Smart let you print wirelessly from your iPhone or iPad. These apps also provide additional configuration options for AirPrint-compatible printers, so you can still set them anyway.
Here’s a quick rundown of the HP Smart App in action.
1. Install HP Smart from the App Store.
2. Open HP Smart and create an HP account (or sign in if you already have one).
3. Tap the Add First Printer option to add your HP printer.
Note. If your wireless printer doesn’t appear, make sure it’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone or iPad. Or enter its IP address. If your printer uses Bluetooth to connect, be sure to activate the Bluetooth radio on your iPhone and iPad.
4. Click on a category (for example, Print Photos or Print Documents) to create a print order.
5. Click Print to send the print job to your HP printer.
Note. If your print jobs fail, follow these troubleshooting tips to fix your wireless printer.
Use Printopia or O’Print to Print on iPhone and iPad
Let’s say you are using a non-AirPrint wireless printer, no support software, or just a wired printer. In this case, you can print from an iPhone or iPad by sending print jobs wirelessly from desktop devices. To do this, you need a third-party Mac or PC application that mimics AirPrint.
Printopia is a paid Mac app that costs $ 19.99 but comes with a free 7-day trial. It lets you add up to five printers for use with your iPhone or iPad. However, don’t expect it to work with Android smartphones.
After downloading and installing Printopia, open it and go to the Printers tab. Then click the Plus button to add the printer. If it doesn’t appear, connect your printer to your Mac first.
Then, assuming your Apple devices are on the same Wi-Fi network, open the photo, document, or webpage that you want to print on your iPhone or iPad and click the Share button. After that, your printer will appear in the printer selection pane. Select it, make the necessary changes to the print job and click Print.
O’Print is an AirPrint activator for Windows PCs. It costs $ 19.80, but you can use a 30-day trial.
Download, install and open O’Print. Then you should see all the printers that you have already added to your computer. If not, here’s how to add new printers to Windows.
By default, O’Print includes all printers (including PDF printers) for iPhone and iPad. Just select the green icon next to your printer to turn it off.
After that, start the print job on your iPhone or iPad and you will be able to select your printer. Then make the necessary changes to the print job and click Print.
Print on Any Printer From iPhone and iPad
If your printer supports AirPrint, you can use it to print from an iPhone or iPad with minimal effort. If not, just use the support app from your printer manufacturer to get the job done. In the case of a wired USB printer, investing in Printopia or O’Print is a cost effective solution compared to buying an AirPrint compatible printer.
How To Setup a Printer on iPhone or iPad
Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch