Update Your Web Browser on iPhone easy.
Updating your favorite web browser on iPhone guarantees you access to new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. A modern browser also contributes to increased privacy and security when browsing the Internet.
But how do you install the latest updates for the Safari web browser and third-party alternatives such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox?
Read on to find out how to update the web browser to the new version on your iPhone. The methods below apply to all browsers on iPod touch and iPad running iPadOS.
Update Safari on iPhone
Safari is the default web browser for iPhone. It’s fully integrated with iOS (the operating system that the iPhone runs on), so updating the system software itself is the only way to update it.
Typically, major versions of iOS introduce significant feature updates to Safari, while iOS patch updates are more focused on optimizing the browser.
Important! Even if you are using a third party browser, installing the latest iOS updates can improve stability.
Update iOS via the Settings app
The quickest way to update iOS, and therefore Safari, is to use the Software Update tool in the Settings app. However, iOS updates don’t work over a cellular network, so connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi hotspot before you begin.
The only exception is if you are using a 5G enabled iOS device: go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Options and activate “Allow more data over 5G” to allow system software updates through your mobile data plan 5G.
Also, your iPhone must have at least 50% charge remaining. If not, connect it to the charging source listed below.
1. Open the Settings app on iPhone.
2. Scroll down and tap the General category.
3. Click Software Update.
4. Wait while your iPhone searches for the latest system software updates.
5. Click “Download and Install” to update Safari, other stock iPhone apps, and system software to the latest version.
Note. Starting with iOS 14, you can stay on the same iteration of iOS without upgrading to the next major version, such as iOS 15. Click “Download and Install” to continue installing spot updates for the current version, or “Upgrade to iOS [version number]” . when you’re ready to upgrade to the next version of iOS.
Update iOS via iTunes and Finder
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB.
2. Unlock your iOS device and click “Trust”. Skip this step if you have previously connected both devices.
3. Open Finder (Mac) or iTunes (PC).
4. Select your iPhone in the Finder sidebar or in the upper left corner of the iTunes window and select Check for Updates.
5. Select Download and update. Then review the upgrade notes and accept the Apple software license terms.
6. Wait while Finder or iTunes downloads and installs the update on your iPhone. DO NOT turn off your iPhone at this time.
Update Third-Party Browsers on iPhone
If you are using a third party internet browser on your iPhone, you must use the App Store to update it to the latest version. You can use Wi-Fi or a cellular data plan to update.
Here’s what you need to do to update the most popular third-party browser for iOS, Google Chrome.
1. Open the App Store and click “Search” in the lower right corner of the panel.
2. Click on the search bar and type Google Chrome.
3. Select Google Chrome from the search results.
4. Click Update to update Google Chrome. Don’t forget to click “More” in the “Version History” section to read the update notes.
Alternatively, tap your profile icon in the top right corner of the window and swipe down the screen to find the latest updates for all installed apps. Then view the list of pending updates and click “Update” next to the web browser.
Speaking of third-party browsers, did you know that you can ditch Safari and use Chrome or Firefox as your default browser on iPhone?
Set Up Auto-Updates on iPhone
If manually updating Safari or a third-party browser seems difficult, you can set up automatic updates so that your iPhone automatically updates iOS or the App Store app. Updates will then occur when the device is charging and connected to a Wi-Fi network, but you can also choose to install updates manually.
Set up automatic iOS updates
1. Open the Settings app and go to General > Software Update.
2. Click Automatic Updates.
3. Turn on the radio buttons next to Download iOS updates and Install iOS updates.
Set up automatic app updates
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Scroll down and tap App Store.
3. In the Automatic Downloads section, turn on the switch next to App Updates.
Your Browser Is Now Up-to-Date
Using a modern web browser makes browsing websites faster, smoother, and more secure on your iPhone. If you don’t like manual updates, set your iPhone to automatically update itself and all third-party apps.
Update Your Web Browser on iPhone easy
Update Your Web Browser on iPhone easy