While you can change your username on other online platforms, Skype does not allow you to change it. But there are other ways to change your Skype name.
During the registration phase, Skype allows you to use your email address or phone number. If you sign in with your phone number or email address instead of your Skype name, you have a Microsoft account, not your Skype name.
However, you can log in using your Skype name and password, so you need to choose one that is easy to remember and unique to you.
Follow the instructions to find out which options you can use to change your Skype name instead.
What is Skype Name?
Your Skype Name or Skype ID is the username you created when you first connected to Skype, apart from your phone number or email address.
Before Microsoft acquired Skype in 2011, users could create a new Skype account with a user-selected Skype name. Users who signed up for a Skype account prior to their 2011 purchase have a non-email username with an @name descriptor that cannot be changed either.
Once purchased, the Skype name or handle you see takes the form live: name , where name is your username or the first part of the email address you use to sign in to Skype. P>
This is because the requirements have changed, so you need a Microsoft account to register with Skype. Hence, you can only change your Skype name by changing the email address associated with your Microsoft account and your Skype profile.
For example, if your email address is [email protected], your Skype name will read live: spoiledsly instead of the previous @spoiledsly format. You can use this if you want to share your Skype name with your contacts instead of revealing your full email address.
If you use your phone number to create an account, your descriptor will be in alphanumeric live:
It also helps in finding new users. You can use their email address or phone number, although searching for username live: also works.
- To find your name on Skype, tap or click your profile picture.
- In a pop-up window, you will see your Skype account details such as your Skype name, email address, location, and date of birth if you entered any of these details. If you’d like to see more information, click or tap the three dots to the right of your profile picture.
- Click or tap Settings.
- To do this, start Skype and click or tap your profile picture.
- Click or tap the Skype profile in the pop-up window.
- Then select Modify (displayed as a pencil icon).
- Update the display name in your Skype profile. Click or tap the checkbox to save your changes. You can change your display name at any time and as many times as you like, but it will take some time to update and display on your profile.
- To change your display name on a Windows PC or Mac, open Skype and click your profile picture or display name in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click your Skype profile.
- Click the Edit button next to the display name.
- Click the checkbox to the right of the display name text box to complete the process.
- To do this, open the Skype app on your smartphone and tap the Skype profile picture at the top.
- To do this, open the Skype app on your smartphone and click Skype Profile Picture At the top.
- Click Skype Profile.
- Then tap or tap the Change Display Name next to it.
- Enter a new name to be displayed.
- Tap Done on your smartphone keyboard or tap the checkbox to the right of the display name to save your changes.
- If you are using an iPad, sign in to Skype on the web and click Edit Profile. Tap a display name on the page and rename it to whatever you want to display when others see your name.
- To do this, sign in to Skype on the web and click your name at the top right of the screen.
- Click My Account from the drop-down menu and select Contact> Edit Profile.
- Click Edit Profile, enter a new display name and click Save, then click OK to confirm and save your changes.
Why can’t I change my Skype Name?
Your Skype username is your account name, which usually starts with live (username) and cannot be changed as it is generated from the email address you use.
The only option you have is to change your account’s display name and other details, but not your Skype name.
However, you can create a new Microsoft account to use on Skype, although this means giving up all your contacts as this will not sync or move your contacts and conversation history to the old Skype account.
If you choose to go this route, create an email account that you want to use as your Skype username, and always sign in with the credentials of the account you want to use.
You can create multiple accounts, but the problem is how to properly log into each and manage each individual account.
How to change your Skype display name
If you still want to use the same Skype account, instead of creating a new one to get your desired username, you can change your display name instead.
Can I change my Skype name on different devices?
Whether you use Skype on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS, you cannot change your Skype name, but you can change your display name across devices.
Windows & Mac
Change Skype on mobile (Android / iPhone)
Change Skype on Mobile (Android / iPhone)
Skype For Business
Microsoft Teams is now Microsoft’s professional online meeting solution instead of Skype for Business Online. It is an integrated application that combines video conferencing, instant messaging, calling and document collaboration.
If you are using Skype for Business, you cannot change your username (Skype name) or display name. This is because user accounts have already been created for you by your employer, who assigns each employee a work email address and name.
To change your Skype for Business name or ID, you need to contact your manager or the appropriate person in your IT department.
Change your Skype name on the web
Did you manage to change your Skype name by following the steps above? Share with us in the comments below.